24.6.15

Market tote

Hi friends, hope you are enjoying a bubbly summer, going to beach or swimming in a cooling pool ( ' u ' )


I managed very little sewing in the last month, mostly due to my laziness but I could blame it on bird songs and bright blue skies ;)

Have you heard of Guy Latulippe? Guy is a designer and also a teacher at 'Work room' in Canada. He creates unique bag patterns for his Etsy shop. I was completely smitten with the clean lines and cleverness behind each of his bag designs when I saw them for the first time last year and bought three of his patterns.


Market tote is one them. It is generously sized (18"L x 15"H) with 6 outer pockets, 3 on either side and plenty of storage space, perfect to take for market trips, picnics on beach or even for sewing retreats.


Only addition I made to the pattern is the inside pocket for quick access to a notepad or wallet or keys. I was making these bags for two dear friends, when picking fabrics I tried to pick something they might have chosen for themselves. I don't know if I get full marks there but I still hope they find it new and exciting ;)


Guy's pattern was like an excellent teaching lesson, I learned many things while sewing this bag, his instructions walk us through every step and minute detail with lot of care and ease. I am also very thankful for the hand drawn sketches and scribbled notes at every stage which even included pressing directions for seams. Not a small detail was missed.


I bought a hard copy for the full size templates and instructions came in PDF form. It was so nice to have full size templates ready to use without having to worry about taping or enlarging, I really appreciated it.

For interfacing, I used 'Annie's soft and stable'. I came to know about this product through my friend Stephanie. I also lined the lining fabric with SF101 by Pellon to add bit more sturdiness.


Thank you so much, Guy for sharing your insight and experience through these amazing patterns. I wouldn't have dreamed to produce a professional looking bag without your guidance!!

Thank you for stopping by! Have a great Summer! ( ' v ' )

4 comments:

Karisma said...

Pratima what a wonderful project! And your bags are so wonderfully done it makes me want to check out his patterns! Thank you for sharing! ~ Aloha!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Nothing beats a well written pattern! Such a fantastic pattern and the size so useful!!! You always pair the perfect fabrics with the perfect projects. Very lucky friends. So glad you like Soft and Stable.

Unknown said...

These bags are divine!!!!! They are so crisp and professional looking - and yet totally unique. You hit these right out of the park my friend!!!! You make me want to finish my Sew Sweetness Duffle. Maybe.
xox

Candace said...

The bags are just wonderful, Pratima and your sewing skills are amazing! Such a handy tote for many uses most definitely! I'm sure your friends are over the moon to receive these fantastic bags!
Cheers!